Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Years, Potties, and Perceptions

Recently in Beth Moore bible study focused on gaining wisdom, I was challenged to change my perspective on my life interactions. We discussed the concept that we are, as individuals, in charge of how we choose to view the world and our personal interactions. In theory this all sounds quite reasonable, but in practice I find it is sometimes harder than it sounds to change my inner monologue.

Today, for example, has not gone nearly anything like I planned… computer files playing hide and seek, persnickety programs, a medical resources tango, and a daughter itching to get to her scheduled afternoon play date have left me in a down in the dumps kind of mood.  The world isn’t coming to an end, but I’m finding these unexpected challenges emotionally draining today. Unfortunately recognizing this and changing my perceptions are not so easily interchangeable.

So instead I’m going to take a break, have a corndog with the world’s best daughter, and remind myself to laugh at the idiosyncrasies of life.

For example yesterday the above mentioned daughter cried in my lap because her very mean, very bossy big brother told her she could not clean the potty, because he had already completed said task. Yes, there were actual tears spilled over whether certain individuals would be allowed to enjoy scrubbing the porcelain water closet. In the end, windows were washed, rooms were vacuumed, surfaces were swiped, half a container of sanitizing wipes were used, and the whole house smelled of disinfectant.

Would I swear the bathrooms were thoroughly cleaned? Probably not. Did the kids attack the dirt and grime with gusto? Absolutely. Did I ever think I would have to mediate a squabble over who is privileged enough to clean the potty? Never.

So there we have it. Life is weird and wholly unexpected.

 

Galatians 5:22 (The Message)

But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard---things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people.

1 comment:

  1. You're back! And, I LOVE this! The idiosyncrasies... so true. Sure wish I could get to that point of embracing a positive perspective and consistently experiencing the "affection... exuberance... and serenity." You're right; it's hard to practice!

    Hope your new year is full of unexpected blessings.

    ReplyDelete